After a fortifying potluck dinner, the OCAC Board got down to business on Wednesday November 27. The arts council board met to review 2013 programmes and committees and to set goals for next year. With seven OCAC events last year, and five active administrative committees, this is a lot to cover in one evening! (At left, President Stephanie Salsnek facilitates a review of the Fall Art Show and Sale)
Every committee was assessed in a SWOT review: What are the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats for each? Then using SMART goal setting, the board proposed some actions to be taken that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-bound. The board has done similar assessments and strategic planning every year for the last five years.
Strategic planning is based on the idea that, if you don’t know where you’ve been, how can you know where you want to go next? Setting small goals year by year can also help to accomplish projects which at first seem insurmountable. (Below, Marion Trimble (C) consults with Bernice Myllyniemi (R) while BettyLou Trimmer Bahnsen (L) listens)
The Board’s strategic planning retreats have had proven results over the years, with some significant changes and improvements to committee function. Some of the following successes derived from past “retreats”:
* Roll-up Doors at the Quail’s Nest Arts Centre
* Exterior Landscaping at QNAC
* Exterior Painting at QNAC
* Kitchen Renovations
* Membership Drives to attract businesses and groups
* Spring Arts Faire
* Community Christmas Concert
* Rental process streamlined with online scheduling, revamped contract package, and price lists for equipment rental.
* Arts Jam!
* Music in the Park corporate sponsorship, refreshments, and occasional bandshell concerts
* countless improvements to Fall Art Show and Sale from re-branding, to themes, decor, voting protocols, and artwork security
Watch for more news on goal setting for 2014.
(Above: Jennifer Mapplebeck and Diane Gludovatz react to some suggestions for the Fall Art Show and Sale)
Also on the OCAC Board: Arleyene Farnworth, Sally Franks, Brian Mapplebeck, Jack Bennest (interim) and
Photo Credit: Penelope Johnson