Summer Assistant Needed
The Oliver and District Heritage Society is looking for a college/university Summer Assistant for a 16 week position.
Please note that funding for the position is being provided by the Young Canada Works program.
Start date: on or after Monday, May 11, 2015
End Date: August 31, 2015 Salary: $12.75 per hour, 35 hrs./wk. (includes some weekends)
The successful candidate, supported by the Community Heritage Manager, will develop museological and archival skills through practical hands-on experience by performing daily tasks and working on special projects essential to the operation of a heritage organization, with an emphasis on collections, exhibits, and programs.
- Research and develop materials for exhibits and programs
- Docent work leading facility and walking tours
- Collections – cataloguing, inventorying, digital imaging, and conservation
- Data entry into ca collections management software database
- Perform customer and visitor services such as assisting with research requests
The successful candidate will be a post-secondary program student currently enrolled in a Canadian Educational institution with an interest in history and heritage resources. Preference will be given to those enrolled in one of the following:
- Museum Studies
- Archival Studies
- Canadian History
- Heritage Resource Management
- Information Management
- OR related field Museum or archive experience such as artifact handling, digital photography, and/or conservation experience is preferred.
Any of the following would be assets:
- basic office skills
- research skills
- visitor services experience
- docent experience
- experience with the collections management software, PastPerfect
- graphic design skills
The Museum Summer Assistant will be a team player with the ability to work independently. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, adaptable, have strong organization skills, and an attention to detail.
NOTE: This position is being funded by Young Canada Works funding therefore applicants must:
- be between the ages of 16-30
- have been a full-time student in the semester preceding the summer
- returning to school full time in the fall of 2015
- be eligible to work in Canada
- be willing to register as an YCW candidate.
Visit www.youngcanadaworks.gc.ca for all eligibility details and registration.
Submit cover letter and resume to info @ oliverheritage.ca
or by mail to:
Pamela Woolner, Community Heritage Manager
Oliver and District Heritage Society
PO Box 847 Oliver, BC V0H 1T0
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.